From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 4.7.3 --> 4.8.3
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 21:04:13
1 On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 20:19:36 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > Neil Bothwick wrote:
5
6 > > > After an emerge -e <at> world, a reboot is probably best, another
7 > > > reason to avoid the unnecessary step of emerge -e <at> world in
8 > > > the first place.
9 >
10 > This conflict what others have said. Curious. My take is that since
11 > I updated the major compiler, gcc, it warrants an --emptytree rebuild
12 > and reboot, just to be safe.
13
14 Why? The compiler is not used by running software. If there was an ABI
15 change meaning that mixing programs compiled with the two versions would
16 cause problem, emerge -e would be prudent, but that hasn't happened for a
17 long time. You don't dismantle and reassenble your car just because you
18 bought a new set of spanners...
19
20 > > After I do a major upgrade or --emptytree, I switch to boot runlevel,
21 > > check with checkrestart and restart whatever it reports needs it.
22 > > Generally, switching to boot runlevel catches most everything.
23 >
24 > OK, so I emerge checkrestart and ran it. And there are almost a dozen
25 > things it says need a reboot (mostly lxde). "These processes do not
26 > seem to have an associated init script to restart them".
27 >
28 > So I have to reboot anyways.
29
30 No, simply log out of the desktop and back in.
31
32 Bear in mind that some of what checkrestart reports is unimportant
33 anyway. Just because a process is using a slightly older in-memory
34 version of a library doesn't mean it is suddenly going to stop working. I
35 have services that have been flagged by checkrestart for weeks that are
36 still fine, I just don't want to stop and restart them.
37
38 > > Yea, rebooting may be faster but I hate rebooting all the time. :/
39 >
40 > Agreeded. But after a gcc update, I think it wise, especially since
41 > gcc-4.9 cometh....soon?
42
43 Yes, things may be a little different with 4.9, but the last time a
44 rebuild was really required was,AFAIR, somewhere around 3.3.
48 Neil Bothwick
49
50 Dyslexics of the world, untie!