From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 4.7.3 --> 4.8.3
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 02:07:58
1 > > > Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > > > > After an emerge -e <at> world, a reboot is probably best, another
4 > > > > reason to avoid the unnecessary step of emerge -e <at> world in
5 > > > > the first place.
9 > > This conflict what others have said. Curious. My take is that since
10 > > I updated the major compiler, gcc, it warrants an --emptytree rebuild
11 > > and reboot, just to be safe.
12
13 > Why? The compiler is not used by running software. If there was an ABI
14 > change meaning that mixing programs compiled with the two versions would
15 > cause problem, emerge -e would be prudent, but that hasn't happened for a
16 > long time. You don't dismantle and reassenble your car just because you
17 > bought a new set of spanners...
20 Re: [gentoo-dev] more help needed with gcc-4.8 stabilization
21
22 It's a long thread, and not the ony one that hints at issues
23 of installing 4.8.x and still having 4.7.3 set as the default.
24 "webkit-gtk" was one that took me a few tries to get to compile
25 completely. ymmv.
26
27 Obviously many things have been resolved that are listed in the thread.
28 " have you considered to stabilize gcc:4.9 instead possibly 4.9.2 ?
29 I'm not really suggesting to do so, but seem that most of the problems
30 of 4.9.1 are the same of 4.8.3 so maybe it's worth considering. "
31
32 that said 4.8.3 is marked stable by the devs, but a large part of that
33 is 4.9.x is needed by some "key" codes coming down the pipe. No, I did
34 not write thus down, just made myself a mental note up upgrade everything
35 to 4.8.3 in preparation for 4.9.x. (Chrome is on, I think).
36
37 > > > After I do a major upgrade or --emptytree, I switch to boot runlevel,
38 > > > check with checkrestart and restart whatever it reports needs it.
39 > > > Generally, switching to boot runlevel catches most everything.
40 > >
41 > > OK, so I emerge checkrestart and ran it. And there are almost a dozen
42 > > things it says need a reboot (mostly lxde). "These processes do not
43 > > seem to have an associated init script to restart them".
44 > >
45 > > So I have to reboot anyways.
46 >
47 > No, simply log out of the desktop and back in.
48
49 Um, Tomas's little one-liner:
50 lsof -n | grep 'DEL.*lib'
51
52 revealed far to much to deal with. I got lib issues coming out of my arse
53 (I've been hacking at a few things I do not fully understand
54 (wink wink :: nudge nudge) ?
57 > Bear in mind that some of what checkrestart reports is unimportant
58 > anyway. Just because a process is using a slightly older in-memory
59 > version of a library doesn't mean it is suddenly going to stop working. I
60 > have services that have been flagged by checkrestart for weeks that are
61 > still fine, I just don't want to stop and restart them.
62
63 Granted. My need to reboot is because I've been noodling around with
64 many many things. My current desktop: lxde is crippled and deprecated.
65 Lx1t-0.8.0 is in the tree now, but masked waiting on another package
66 or 2 to be tweaked.
70 > Yes, things may be a little different with 4.9, but the last time a
71 > rebuild was really required was,AFAIR, somewhere around 3.3.
74 OK, so I reboot workstations more often than you. I hope that does
75 not upset you? Yes, I've kept workstations online for over a year more
76 times that I can count (fingers and toes). And when the reboot comes, It's a
77 day or 2 fixing things, imho. YMMV. A judicious reboot now and again, timed
78 well, is keenly a good idea, imho. ymmv. Besides I'm an old FT via
79 redundancy, kind of guy; aka I *always* have spare systems, ready to go.
82 On the server side. When I have to be "responsible" for servers others
83 use, I *always* have duplicated hot spares, or I don't do it. I'm not
84 saying that other should/have to do what I do. I'm very lazy and only
85 get lucky when it counts. No I'm too forgetful to be considered smart
86 anymore. So, I use spare hardwares, boot them up and away I go! I live
87 in Florida; so the power failures can "jump" UPS's, ethernet cables and
88 all sorts of strange issues, not just admin issues dictace FT via
89 redundancy for me. I may just move my shop onto a sail boat, so then
90 I'd have metal_chloride issuse to deal with......
93 So, via hardware redudancy, as thecomplete system level, I can
94 diagnose failures at my liesure, sipping coffee, wine
95 or a beverage that would make Alan crazy (quite a few of these....).
96
97 I deeply appreciate your concerns over the admin skills of an old_fart....
98 RFC 5798.
99
100 cheers?
101 James