From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 4.7.3 --> 4.8.3
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 10:18:15
1 On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 02:07:23 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > No, simply log out of the desktop and back in.
4 >
5 > Um, Tomas's little one-liner:
6 > lsof -n | grep 'DEL.*lib'
7 >
8 > revealed far to much to deal with. I got lib issues coming out of my
9 > arse (I've been hacking at a few things I do not fully understand
10 > (wink wink :: nudge nudge) ?
11
12 Oh yes, there are times when a reboot is the simplest option, it makes
13 sure everything is back as baseline. I have no problem with rebooting,
14 just wouldn't recommend the worldwide recompile that leads to the need to
15 do so - unless it is necessary, which is clearly is not in the case of
16 the GCC 4.7 -> 4.8 switch. I run ~arch on my desktop, so most things will
17 be recompiled in the next few weeks anyway.
18
19 > > Yes, things may be a little different with 4.9, but the last time a
20 > > rebuild was really required was,AFAIR, somewhere around 3.3.
21
22 > OK, so I reboot workstations more often than you. I hope that does
23 > not upset you?
24
25 As long as they are your workstations and not mine,m it doesn't upset me
26 in the least ;-)
27
28 > Yes, I've kept workstations online for over a year more
29 > times that I can count (fingers and toes). And when the reboot comes,
30 > It's a day or 2 fixing things, imho. YMMV.
31
32 Not by much. Severs may stay up for a while but desktops tend to be
33 rebooted quite often after kernel updates.
34
35 > A judicious reboot now and
36 > again, timed well, is keenly a good idea, imho. ymmv. Besides I'm an
37 > old FT via redundancy, kind of guy; aka I *always* have spare systems,
38 > ready to go.
39
40 As a fully paid up member of the Old Farts Club, I can appreciate that.
41
42 > I deeply appreciate your concerns over the admin skills of an
43 > old_fart.... RFC 5798.
44
45 I don't see how that RFC relates to being an old fart...
49 Neil Bothwick
50
51 I backed up my hard drive and ran into a bus.