From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 4.7.3 --> 4.8.3
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 21:27:38
1 On Tuesday 11 Nov 2014 21:03:56 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > Why? The compiler is not used by running software. If there was an ABI
4 > change meaning that mixing programs compiled with the two versions would
5 > cause problem, emerge -e would be prudent, but that hasn't happened for a
6 > long time. You don't dismantle and reassenble your car just because you
7 > bought a new set of spanners...
8
9 Hmmm ... O_o
10
11 I can't recall when I rebuilt system (or was it world) because gcc changed,
12 but if I were to guess I would say it was back in 2004/5. I don't recall
13 experiencing problems waiting for packages to rebuild themselves when a new
14 version became available in portage.
17 Regards,
18 Mick