From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Double remote X forwarding?
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 03:09:30
1 On 4/8/06, YoYo siska <yoyko@×××××××.sk> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 07:16:44PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > Hi all,,
4 > > This is about doing ssh through a firewall to one machine and then
5 > > going on from that first machine to a second machine on the remote
6 > > network. Is there any way to allow me to ssh into this whole string
7 > > of machines and still be able to pass the output of an X app running
8 > > on the second machine back to my machine here? The typical error
9 > > message I get is about being unable to open the display.
12 > > mark@lightning ~ $ ssh -X -Y -C -c blowfish -l gandalf
13 > > Password:
14 > > Last login: Sat Apr 8 18:47:38 2006 from lightning
15 > > gandalf ~ # ssh -X -Y -C -c blowfish -l root myth13
16 > > Password:
17 > > Last login: Sat Apr 8 18:50:03 2006 from gandalf
18 > > myth13 ~ # xclock
19 > > Error: Can't open display:
20 > > myth13 ~ #
21 > >
22 > > When sshed into the second machine (myth13) I get no value for
23 > > $display, while for the first machine (gandalf) I ssh into I do:
24 > >
25 > > myth13 ~ # echo $DISPLAY
26 > >
27 > > myth13 ~ # exit
28 > > logout
29 > > Connection to myth13 closed.
30 > > gandalf ~ # echo $DISPLAY
31 > > localhost:10.0
32 > > gandalf ~ # xclock
33 > >
34 > > <XCLOCK displays here>
35 > >
36 > > gandalf ~ #exit
37 > > logout
38 > > Connection to gandalf closed.
39 > > mark@lightning ~ $
40 > >
41 > > I am able to run X apps on gandalf and display them here, but not
42 > > myth13. Can I make it work?
43 > >
44 > is x11forwarding enabled on the second machine (myth13) in
45 > /etc/ssh/sshd_conf ?
46 >
47 > yoyo
48
49 Thank you. It was not. I enabled it, restarted sshd, logged out of
50 myth13 and back into it again and now xclock displays properly here.
51
52 Thanks,
53 Mark
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list