From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AHCI in Windows (was: Any newer Gentoo install CDs?)
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:28:03
1 On Jan 7, 2008 8:10 AM, Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:46:34 -0800 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 > > On Jan 7, 2008 3:34 AM, Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net> wrote:
5 > > > Hi!
6 > > >
7 > > > On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:31:43 -0800 "Mark Knecht"
8 > > > <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > > > > OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look
10 > > > > at BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he
11 > > > > wanted to get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into
12 > > > > Windows but XP goes blue screen at the first disk access with
13 > > > > AHCI enabled.
14 > > >
15 > > > Windows versions prior to Windows Server 2003 do not support AHCI:
16 > > > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/serialATA_FAQ.mspx
17 > > >
18 > > > You have to install SATA drivers of the mainboard manufacturer in
19 > > > order to enable it. For the ASUS P5E board you can download the
20 > > > Intel Matrix Storage driver from ASUS support site. After
21 > > > installing the driver you can enable AHCI in BIOS.
22 > > >
23 > > >
24 > > > Cheers,
25 > > > Renat
26 > > >
27 > >
28 > > Renat,
29 > > Thanks very much for posting this information.
30 > >
31 > > Once installed does Win XP switch over to the new AHCI driver
32 > > automatically and if I go back to IDE emulation in the BIOS does XP
33 > > switch back automatically?
34 >
35 > It should, but I can't actually verify it, because I do not own SATA
36 > drives. I've just googled it for you. :-)
37 > (The page [1], that I found, had a very detailed explanation of this
38 > AHCI issue, but is written in Russian. I've just summarised the
39 > important bits in the email. At the Intel website [2] you can find
40 > lots of relevant information and software in English.)
43 > Cheers,
44 > Renat
47 > [1] http://www.diwaxx.ru/gel/ahci.php
48 > [2] http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/index.htm
51 Fair enough. I should have done that myself. When I started the thread
52 I didn't know about AHCI and I should really read about it before I
53 attempt to use it.
54
55 Thanks,
56 MArk