From: Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AHCI in Windows (was: Any newer Gentoo install CDs?)
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:11:52
1 On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:46:34 -0800 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > On Jan 7, 2008 3:34 AM, Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net> wrote:
4 > > Hi!
5 > >
6 > > On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:31:43 -0800 "Mark Knecht"
7 > > <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > > > OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look
9 > > > at BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he
10 > > > wanted to get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into
11 > > > Windows but XP goes blue screen at the first disk access with
12 > > > AHCI enabled.
13 > >
14 > > Windows versions prior to Windows Server 2003 do not support AHCI:
15 > > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/serialATA_FAQ.mspx
16 > >
17 > > You have to install SATA drivers of the mainboard manufacturer in
18 > > order to enable it. For the ASUS P5E board you can download the
19 > > Intel Matrix Storage driver from ASUS support site. After
20 > > installing the driver you can enable AHCI in BIOS.
23 > > Cheers,
24 > > Renat
27 > Renat,
28 > Thanks very much for posting this information.
29 >
30 > Once installed does Win XP switch over to the new AHCI driver
31 > automatically and if I go back to IDE emulation in the BIOS does XP
32 > switch back automatically?
33
34 It should, but I can't actually verify it, because I do not own SATA
35 drives. I've just googled it for you. :-)
36 (The page [1], that I found, had a very detailed explanation of this
37 AHCI issue, but is written in Russian. I've just summarised the
38 important bits in the email. At the Intel website [2] you can find
39 lots of relevant information and software in English.)
42 Cheers,
43 Renat
46 [1] http://www.diwaxx.ru/gel/ahci.php
47 [2] http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/index.htm
50 Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
51 durch die sie entstanden sind.
52 (Einstein)