From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AHCI in Windows (was: Any newer Gentoo install CDs?)
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:47:19
1 On Jan 7, 2008 3:34 AM, Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:31:43 -0800 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 > > OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look at
7 > > BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he wanted to
8 > > get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into Windows but XP goes
9 > > blue screen at the first disk access with AHCI enabled.
10 >
11 > Windows versions prior to Windows Server 2003 do not support AHCI:
12 > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/serialATA_FAQ.mspx
13 >
14 > You have to install SATA drivers of the mainboard manufacturer in order
15 > to enable it. For the ASUS P5E board you can download the Intel Matrix
16 > Storage driver from ASUS support site. After installing the driver you
17 > can enable AHCI in BIOS.
20 > Cheers,
21 > Renat
24 Renat,
25 Thanks very much for posting this information.
26
27 Once installed does Win XP switch over to the new AHCI driver
28 automatically and if I go back to IDE emulation in the BIOS does XP
29 switch back automatically?
30
31 Cheers,
32 Mark