From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Bit of Trivia
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 15:17:52
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 >060101 Chris White wrote:
6 >>On Sunday 01 January 2006 23:22, michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
9 >>>How slow is too slow for Gentoo? I'm using Gentoo on a 233MHz laptop.
10 >>>Install did take over a week, I'll admit.
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>One of the main factor people consider is time ...
14 >>... Time is the main factor that draws people away.
18 >Exactly ! I really don't have "over a week" to spend updating a back-up box !
19 >Esp as I have only 1 monitor, so can't use the regular machine meantime !
23 Of the four machines I have, three are updated over ssh, no monitor at
24 all. Rigs are below. I can even start the updates and then shutdown my
25 main rig, that has the monitor. I login and start a screen session,
26 then start the updates. If I plan to shutdown my main rig for some
27 reason, I do the -f option first since the souces are on my main rig.
28 If I need to shutdown my main rig, I just exit the screen session and
29 logout. I can login later and re-attach the session to see how it's going.
30
31 Maybe there is something different about my old Compaq but I don't think
32 it would take me that long, even with one CPU. My install went pretty
33 quick and I did compile everything. I even did a emerge -ev world to
34 make sure.
35
36 Maybe I just hate Mandrake to much. LOL Please don't tell me I have to
37 install Mandrake ever again. PLEASE !!!!!
38
39 Also keep this in mind, "good things come to those who wait." To me,
40 Gentoo is worth waiting for.
41
42 Dale
43 :-)
48 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
49
50 I have four rigs:
51
52 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives. Named Smoker
53 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
54 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
55 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
56
57 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list