From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xorg can't work with hotplugged mice?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:19:44
1 Hi all,
2
3 from time to time I remove mice and plug them in, as I move my laptop
4 around locations. Sometimes I also start my laptop without a mouse
5 plugged in, and then plug one in after boot.
6
7 But every time I do so, X doesn't recognise the "new" mouse. I
8 have /dev/input/mouse[0-3] set up in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
9
10 I have to either restart X, or (this is interesting): switch to a
11 console, unplug then replug the mouse, then switch back to X, and
12 allofasudden the mouse works again.
13
14 I can't use the generic /dev/input/mice, (the one-for-all device)
15 because I have a synaptic driver for the touchpad (/dev/input/mouse1),
16 and "auto" for any other mouse plugged in (/dev/input/mouse2).
17
18 Now, the fact that switching to a console and re-plugging the mouse
19 works is strange - this tells me that X "can" do it without restarting,
20 but I don't know how to make it recognise the mouse...
21
22 I can't (and don't want to) use custom udev rules for two reasons:
23 1. I want to plug in any mouse and have it used straight away
24 as /dev/input/mouse2
25 2. This is such a simple problem, and udev seems like such a complicated
26 solution :)
27
28 And lastly, if I have X running with a working usb mouse
29 (/dev/input/mouse2), and then unplug the mouse, then /dev/input/mouse2
30 stays there. Until I restart X or switch to a console and back (then it
31 disappears)... strange!!
32
33 does _anyone_ reading use X and _not_ the /dev/input/mice device? I
34 would be interested to hear from you!!!
35
36 thanks,
40 Everyone writes on the walls except me. -Said to be graffiti seen in Pompeii
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list