From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg can't work with hotplugged mice?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:45:14
1 On Wednesday 18 October 2006 14:15, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > from time to time I remove mice and plug them in, as I move my laptop
5 > around locations. Sometimes I also start my laptop without a mouse
6 > plugged in, and then plug one in after boot.
7
8 [snip]
9
10 > I can't use the generic /dev/input/mice, (the one-for-all device)
11 > because I have a synaptic driver for the touchpad
12 > (/dev/input/mouse1), and "auto" for any other mouse plugged in
13 > (/dev/input/mouse2).
14
15 I don't see why you can't use /dev/input/mice - I have the same mouse
16 setup as you and it works for me. Unless you have problematic hardware
17 that is
18
19 [snip]
20
21 > does _anyone_ reading use X and _not_ the /dev/input/mice device? I
22 > would be interested to hear from you!!!
23
24 Well, fwiw, I'll give you the config I have and that works for me (with
25 irrelevant bits snipped out). Maybe it'll work for you too...
26
27 Section "ServerLayout"
28 Identifier "FGLRX"
29 Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
30 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
31 InputDevice "Mouse1" "AlwaysCore"
32 InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
33 EndSection
34 Section "InputDevice"
35 Identifier "Mouse0"
36 Driver "mouse"
37 Option "CorePointer"
38 Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
39 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
40 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
41 Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
42 EndSection
43 Section "InputDevice"
44 Identifier "Mouse1"
45 Driver "synaptics"
46 Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
47 Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
48 [snip synaptic config stuff]
49 Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
50 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
51 Option "Emulate3Buttons"
52 EndSection
53
54 It's been a long long time since I set this up but I believe the
55 critical settings at the time were "CorePointer" and "AlwaysCore" in
56 the ServerLayout
57
58 alan
59 --