From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg can't work with hotplugged mice?
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:49:43
1 On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 14:41 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 18 October 2006 14:15, Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > from time to time I remove mice and plug them in, as I move my laptop
6 > > around locations. Sometimes I also start my laptop without a mouse
7 > > plugged in, and then plug one in after boot.
8 >
9 > [snip]
10 >
11 > > I can't use the generic /dev/input/mice, (the one-for-all device)
12 > > because I have a synaptic driver for the touchpad
13 > > (/dev/input/mouse1), and "auto" for any other mouse plugged in
14 > > (/dev/input/mouse2).
15 >
16 > I don't see why you can't use /dev/input/mice - I have the same mouse
17 > setup as you and it works for me. Unless you have problematic hardware
18 > that is
19
20 because the touchpad has to be configured differently to the usb mice,
21 otherwise things like "emulate3buttons" don't always work (on the
22 touchpad). Also, I have different acceleration settings on different
23 mice, so I couldn't do that if they all used the same
24 "/dev/input/mice"...
25
26 > [snip]
27 >
28 > > does _anyone_ reading use X and _not_ the /dev/input/mice device? I
29 > > would be interested to hear from you!!!
30 >
31 > Well, fwiw, I'll give you the config I have and that works for me (with
32 > irrelevant bits snipped out). Maybe it'll work for you too...
33
34 [snip]
35
36 > It's been a long long time since I set this up but I believe the
37 > critical settings at the time were "CorePointer" and "AlwaysCore" in
38 > the ServerLayout
39
40 Thanks. I do indeed have CorePointer, and AlwaysCore for my various
41 mice - and it works, so I don't think changing the xorg.conf file will
42 fix it.
43
44 It's just when I unplug a working usb mouse, it won't work when I plug
45 it back in, UNLESS I switch to a console first.
46
47 any other ideas?
51 3rd Law of Computing:
52 Anything that can go wr
53 fortune: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list