From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distributed emerge
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 07:13:37
1 On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Damo Brisbane <dhatchett2@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Thanks, digesting it!
3 >
4 > On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 12:59 AM, Andrés Becerra Sandoval
5 > <andres.becerra@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >> 2017-09-25 6:35 GMT-05:00 Damo Brisbane <dhatchett2@×××××.com>:
10 >>>
11 >>> hi,
12 >>>
13 >>> Can someone point where I might go for parallel @world build, it is
14 >>> really for my own curiositynat this time. Currently I stage binaries for
15 >>> multiple machines on a single nfs share, but the assumption is to use
16 >>> instead some distributed filesystem. So I think I just need a recipie,
17 >>> pointers or ideas on how to distribute emerge on an @world set? I am
18 >>> thinking granular first, ie per package rather than eg distributed gcc
19 >>> within a single package.
20 >>>
21 >>> thank you
25 >> Hello,
26 >>
27 >> I think distcc might be what you look for the merging part:
28 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc
31 Distcc seems to work for some people, but other setups have lots of
32 issues with it. Not all build scripts provide all of the hooks
33 necessary to do certain things. Sometimes there is corruption when
34 communicating results, or subtle flag or optimization differences that
35 lead to bugs.
36
37 When distcc works it works well, but a single package host may be the
38 more robust solution. You could write some shell script to take
39 /var/lib/portage/world and only build e.g. half the packages.
40
41 Cheers,
42 R0b0t1