From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT router advice] a router capable of detailed logs
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 18:17:39
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > Consider OpenWRT. You can run it on something like the Netgear
4 > WNR2000, the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, or something even cheaper if you
5 > don't need wifi.
6
7 I don't need wifi, but of course OpenWRT won't run on the cisco
8 But that WZR-HP-G300NH is looking promising.
9
10 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
11
12 [...]
13
14 > I have WZR-HP-G300NH (running DD-WRT), if you don't plan on using wifi
15 > it would be great. The wifi is really unstable and I couldn't
16 > recommend this device if you're a heavy wifi user, but the wired
17 > portion works great, the device itself is by far the fastest I've ever
18 > owned, and it has a USB port so you can attach external storage in
19 > case you want to use it as a server, too.
20
21 Can you make any comment about the logging capabilities?
22
23 "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au> writes:
24
25 [...]
26
27 > I have this device and am using Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std
28 > - its been totally stable since I dumped the buffalo firmware. My son
29 > plays windoze online games and I often move large files around as well
30 > as stream mythtv across it - no problems at all. Until I started
31 > powering the systems down at night (power charges went up :) it would
32 > stay up for over a month at a time and it was never a crash as to why it
33 > was restarted - usually power, or reconfiguration.
34
35 Maybe you can make some comment about logging capablities? Maybe one
36 or both of you might be willing to post a log sample?