From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT router advice] a router capable of detailed logs
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 18:46:56
1 * Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> [110420 13:51]:
2 > Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
3 >
4 > > Consider OpenWRT. You can run it on something like the Netgear
5 > > WNR2000, the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, or something even cheaper if you
6 > > don't need wifi.
7 >
8 > I don't need wifi, but of course OpenWRT won't run on the cisco
9 > But that WZR-HP-G300NH is looking promising.
10
11 I've just purchased one and it arrived today and I installed DD-WRT and
12 then upgraded to OpenWRT. It's working well but obviously I've only
13 just started working with it.
16 > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
17 >
18 > [...]
19 >
20 > > I have WZR-HP-G300NH (running DD-WRT), if you don't plan on using wifi
21 > > it would be great. The wifi is really unstable and I couldn't
22 > > recommend this device if you're a heavy wifi user, but the wired
23 > > portion works great, the device itself is by far the fastest I've ever
24 > > owned, and it has a USB port so you can attach external storage in
25 > > case you want to use it as a server, too.
26 >
27 > Can you make any comment about the logging capabilities?
28
29 OpenWRT is running the BusyBox syslogd by default. I doubt it would take
30 much to build a syslog-ng (or whatever other logger you prefer) if there
31 isn't already a package for it.
32
33 Oh, I see that there already are syslog-ng (1.6.12-2) and syslog-ng3
34 (3.0.5-1) packages
35
36 You have iptables support so you can do pretty much anything you like
37 with regards to logging.
38
39 Todd
43 > "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au> writes:
44 >
45 > [...]
46 >
47 > > I have this device and am using Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std
48 > > - its been totally stable since I dumped the buffalo firmware. My son
49 > > plays windoze online games and I often move large files around as well
50 > > as stream mythtv across it - no problems at all. Until I started
51 > > powering the systems down at night (power charges went up :) it would
52 > > stay up for over a month at a time and it was never a crash as to why it
53 > > was restarted - usually power, or reconfiguration.
54 >
55 > Maybe you can make some comment about logging capablities? Maybe one
56 > or both of you might be willing to post a log sample?