From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Very bad system response
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:51:40
1 Hi,
2
3 Am Dienstag, 6. Februar 2007 schrieb Hemmann, Volker Armin:
4 > On Dienstag, 6. Februar 2007, Pierre-Yves Rofes wrote:
5 > > On Tue, February 6, 2007 9:29 pm, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
6 > > > From time to time my system comes to a complete halt, that means not a
7 > > > single
8 > > > application shows any response to mouse and/or keyactions, sshing into
9 > > > it takes forever. After a while (up to ~30s ) normal reaction is back
10 > > > again. Strange thing is, there is no activity at the times this
11 > > > happens. Reading email and browsing the web is all that is needed. CPU
12 > > > is at 3-5% according to
13 > > > top, mem has ~1GB free according to free.
14 > > Maybe a faulty hard drive with bad sectors that can't be read. Anything
15 > > in /var/log/messages or any other log file?
16 > >
17 > > --
18 > > Pierre-Yves Rofes
19 >
20 > I am not sure that something is 'broken'. His problem is like mine... heavy
21 > disk i/o kills performance. And if the box hits swap, everything sucks....
22 > because for some reason, always the wrong stuff is swapped out ;)
23 > Really, sometimes, it is like every single bit is fetched individually from
24 > the swap space...
25
26 I don't think, swap is the cause of this. This system has 1,5GB Ram, swap is
27 nearly never touched :)
28
29 Thanks,
30 Michael