From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Very bad system response
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 00:20:51
1 On Dienstag, 6. Februar 2007, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Am Dienstag, 6. Februar 2007 schrieb Hemmann, Volker Armin:
5 > > On Dienstag, 6. Februar 2007, Pierre-Yves Rofes wrote:
6 > > > On Tue, February 6, 2007 9:29 pm, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
7 > > > > From time to time my system comes to a complete halt, that means not
8 > > > > a single
9 > > > > application shows any response to mouse and/or keyactions, sshing
10 > > > > into it takes forever. After a while (up to ~30s ) normal reaction is
11 > > > > back again. Strange thing is, there is no activity at the times this
12 > > > > happens. Reading email and browsing the web is all that is needed.
13 > > > > CPU is at 3-5% according to
14 > > > > top, mem has ~1GB free according to free.
15 > > >
16 > > > Maybe a faulty hard drive with bad sectors that can't be read. Anything
17 > > > in /var/log/messages or any other log file?
18 > > >
19 > > > --
20 > > > Pierre-Yves Rofes
21 > >
22 > > I am not sure that something is 'broken'. His problem is like mine...
23 > > heavy disk i/o kills performance. And if the box hits swap, everything
24 > > sucks.... because for some reason, always the wrong stuff is swapped out
25 > > ;) Really, sometimes, it is like every single bit is fetched individually
26 > > from the swap space...
27 >
28 > I don't think, swap is the cause of this. This system has 1,5GB Ram, swap
29 > is nearly never touched :)
33 swap was only an example. Things that kill performance: big tar, big copy
34 around, and everything that touches a lot of files....
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list