From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] binary packages: how to ...
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 23:48:08
1 On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:24:31PM +0200, n952162 wrote:
2 > binary packages: how to:
3 >
4 > 1. find out if a package is binary before you install it (e.g. where on
5 > app-arch/rar does it say it's a binary package)
6
7 RAR is an unusual case, with both the "mirror" and "bindist" flags set in the
8 RESTRICT variable (i.e., Gentoo cannot legally mirror the package, and you're
9 not allowed to redistribute binaries either). I couldn't find anything in the
10 ebuild which suggests it is a binary package; perhaps this is something that
11 should be reviewed by the Gentoo developers, as most packages supporting a
12 binary distribution provide a separate package with the `-bin` suffix, although
13 I suppose this doesn't make much sense when there is no source package.
14
15 The entire RAR business model of free decompression and paid compression has
16 caused confusion for many people over many decades. I'd always stick to 7zip or
17 one of the classic UNIX compression utilities, if I had a choice.
18
19 > 2. inhibit their installation
20
21 Don't install them. ;-)
22
23 More seriously: there's not that many of them, so it's probably not a process
24 worth automating, unless you're on a multi-user machine, in which untrusted
25 users can install packages - although I think you'd have more significant
26 problems at that point. As you've unfortunately discovered, there isn't much of
27 a concrete framework in place to automatically detect binary packages, which
28 also makes Point (3) difficult.
29
30 > 3. get a list of the ones installed on a system
31
32 `EIX_LIMIT=0 eix --only-names -I *-bin`, perhaps ? Unfortunately, this won't
33 catch the unusual cases, as seen with `app-arch/rar`.
34
35 > Any ideas about that are appreciated.
36
37 [1] might be worth a read; it's quite comprehensive, and gives you a glimpse
38 into the inner-workings of Portage, allowing you to fix these issues yourself.
39
40 Something to note: "bindist", as the USE-flag and RESTRICT option, does not mean
41 "use a binary distribution", but rather "compile the package in such a way that
42 I can redistribute my build without putting myself in a legal problem with the
43 package authors" (this commonly is synonymous with disabling official branding):
44
45 $ ash-euses -sk bindist
46
47 dev-libs/openssl:bindist - Disable/Restrict EC algorithms (as they seem to be patented) -- note: changes the ABI
48 dev-libs/openssl-compat:bindist - Disable/Restrict EC algorithms (as they seem to be patented) -- note: changes the ABI
49 dev-qt/qtnetwork:bindist - Disable EC support via dev-libs/openssl
50 mail-client/thunderbird:bindist - Disable official Firefox/Thunderbird branding (icons, name) which are not binary-redistributable according to upstream.
51 media-libs/freetype:bindist - Disable ClearType support (see http://freetype.org/patents.html)
52 net-libs/liboauth:bindist - Alias for the nss USE flag, since there are license compliancy trouble when using OpenSSL.
53 net-misc/openssh:bindist - Disable EC/RC5 algorithms in OpenSSL for patent reasons.
54 sys-apps/ucspi-ssl:bindist - Disable EC/RC5 algorithms in OpenSSL for patent reasons.
55 www-client/firefox:bindist - Disable official Firefox branding (icons, name) which are not binary-redistributable according to upstream.
56
57 Hope this helps,
58 Ashley.
59