From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] binary packages: how to ...
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 08:06:31
1 On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 00:46:58 +0100, Ashley Dixon wrote:
2
3 > > 1. find out if a package is binary before you install it (e.g. where
4 > > on app-arch/rar does it say it's a binary package)
5 >
6 > RAR is an unusual case, with both the "mirror" and "bindist" flags set
7 > in the RESTRICT variable (i.e., Gentoo cannot legally mirror the
8 > package, and you're not allowed to redistribute binaries either). I
9 > couldn't find anything in the ebuild which suggests it is a binary
10 > package;
11
12 src_compile() { :; }
13
14 This is setting the compile to a NOP, which is a bit of a giveaway.
15 However, it's not a consistent way of checking, for example skypeforlinux
16 doesn't specify src_compile at all, which I thought meant it used the
17 default of running emake().
18
19 As Andreas mentioned, the LICENSE setting is probably a more reliable way
20 of excluding such packages. By only allowing open source licences you
21 prevent the installation of proprietary binary packages. You can still
22 install the *-bin packages as they are mostly convenience packages to
23 save you lengthy compilation by using the developer's provided binary
24 packages of open source software.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Help put the "fun" back in "dysfunctional" !