From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] anyone using Lilo to dual-boot ?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 05:52:37
1 My cousin in England wants to try out Linux & has an Ubuntu Live CD.
2 To help her, I've installed the same on a separate partition in my box.
3 The partition is /dev/sda8 & is formatted ReiserFS.
4 I use Lilo as boot manager & don't want to change to Grub
5 just to offer temporary help to someone,
6 so I refused to let the Ubuntu installer overwrite my MBR,
7 hoping to get Lilo to see Ubuntu via an appropriate 'lilo.conf'.
8 I've managed to get Lilo to add Ubuntu to the boot menu,
9 but only by mounting /dev/sda8 as /z/mount8 & using the line
10
11 image = /z/mount8/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic
12
13 However, when I reboot & select that image via its label,
14 I'm getting the hoary old 'VFS: can't open root device "808"'.
15 I've tried adding a dir /z/mount8 in the Ubuntu partition
16 with a symlink of 'boot' to '../../boot' there, but it doesn't help.
17 This does look rather messy, but I just want to be able to boot Ubuntu
18 in order to advise my cousin when she starts using her version.
19
20 Is anyone successfully dual-booting Linux distros using Lilo ?
21 Might it be ReiserFS ? -- should I re-install Ubuntu with another FS ?
25 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
26 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
27 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca