From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Two problems after switching to elogind
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 06:44:18
1 On Wednesday, 15 April 2020 11:48:05 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Hello list,
4 > >
5 > > After the switch to elogind yesterday, chronyd now won't run. It complains
6 > > "Could not get user/group of ntp." I remerged chrony with USE=-ntp, but it
7 > > didn't help. I know that several people here use chrony, so what is your
8 > > experience?
9 > >
10 > > Secondly, this morning when I started firefox to listen to BBC Radio 3, as
11 > > usual, I had no sound. Then I remembered that alsa-utils was unmerged
12 > > during the switch to elogind yesterday, so I remerged it and ran
13 > > alsamixer to unmute the master. Still no sound.
14 > >
15 > > This box has two sound devices:
16 > >
17 > > # lspci | grep Audio
18 > > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation C610/X99 series chipset HD Audio
19 > > Controller (rev 05)
20 > > 01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere
21 > > HDMI
22 > > Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590]
23 > >
24 > > The first of those is the one I use; the AMD device is part of the VGA
25 > > card and not used. I'd have to get myself some kind of HDMI cable to
26 > > split the sound out if I wanted to use it.
27 > >
28 > > Should I assume that firefox is trying to use the AMD device? In that
29 > > case, how do I redirect it? There's no sound configuration panel under
30 > > multimedia in KDE system settings; only cddb.
31 >
32 > I use chrony here and haven't ran into that problem, yet. Give me some
33 > time tho. ;-)
34
35 I added version 3.5 to my keywords file and remerged. It now runs fine. It must
36 have been failing for some time, because when it did start it reported a time
37 error of 14s.
38
39 Bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/700094#c9 refers.
40
41 > As to the sound problem, I'd try logging out of the GUI, restarting
42 > elogind or rebooting, and then trying again. One thing I've noticed
43 > about elogind, if it or something it depends on triggers the need for a
44 > restart, it causes some weird problems. Once restarted, everything
45 > works as it should.
46
47 Still chasing this one. So far I've reverted to last Sunday's backup and I'm
48 putting in a few updates at a time to isolate the guilty party. I forgot to
49 say before that I don't get the beep from KDE shutting down either.
52 Regards,
53 Peter.