From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Two problems after switching to elogind
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 10:48:16
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > After the switch to elogind yesterday, chronyd now won't run. It complains
5 > "Could not get user/group of ntp." I remerged chrony with USE=-ntp, but it
6 > didn't help. I know that several people here use chrony, so what is your
7 > experience?
8 >
9 > Secondly, this morning when I started firefox to listen to BBC Radio 3, as
10 > usual, I had no sound. Then I remembered that alsa-utils was unmerged during
11 > the switch to elogind yesterday, so I remerged it and ran alsamixer to unmute
12 > the master. Still no sound.
13 >
14 > This box has two sound devices:
15 >
16 > # lspci | grep Audio
17 > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation C610/X99 series chipset HD Audio
18 > Controller (rev 05)
19 > 01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere HDMI
20 > Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590]
21 >
22 > The first of those is the one I use; the AMD device is part of the VGA card and
23 > not used. I'd have to get myself some kind of HDMI cable to split the sound
24 > out if I wanted to use it.
25 >
26 > Should I assume that firefox is trying to use the AMD device? In that case, how
27 > do I redirect it? There's no sound configuration panel under multimedia in KDE
28 > system settings; only cddb.
31 I use chrony here and haven't ran into that problem, yet.  Give me some
32 time tho.  ;-)
33
34 As to the sound problem, I'd try logging out of the GUI, restarting
35 elogind or rebooting, and then trying again.  One thing I've noticed
36 about elogind, if it or something it depends on triggers the need for a
37 restart, it causes some weird problems.  Once restarted, everything
38 works as it should.
39
40 Which brings me to this.  Anyone know if moving elogind from the boot
41 runlevel to default would cause problems?  I'm thinking about doing that
42 since I forget to restart elogind manually after a KDE upgrade, or other
43 upgrades that require restarting a lot of services.
44
45 Hope that helps.  It seems elogind has a few quirks still, or maybe it
46 is a feature we just don't want.  ROFL
47
48 Dale
49