From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Probably off-topic] How do I find out what is consuming the bandwidth?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 12:53:46
1 On 1 Mar 2008, at 20:56, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > ...
3 > There's one other way that I just remembered (for future
4 > reference). You
5 > don't *have* to use a linux machine as a gateway if you have a decent
6 > managed switch - set it to route all traffic on all ports out through
7 > the port that a monitoring machine is connected to. In other words,
8 > that one part acts like a hub. Now that the monitoring machine can see
9 > every bit on the entire Ethernet, it can count 'em :-)
10 >
11 > However, these switches cost a fortune and I very much doubt that the
12 > el-cheapo ADSL routers on the market have this feature. Both of mine
13 > certainly don't.
14
15 FYI: these are actually really cheap secondhand on eBay, if you're
16 happy with 10/100, or 10/100 with 2 x gigabit ports.
17
18 Stroller.
19 --
20 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list