From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Probably off-topic] How do I find out what is consuming the bandwidth?
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:01:09
1 On Saturday 01 March 2008, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
2 > > Sometimes the router has an accounting feature. Otherwise you need
3 > > to make a Linux box the gateway for the entire LAN and hang the
4 > > ADSL router off one of it's interfaces. Then do accounting via any
5 > > one of numerous tools
8 > I concur with the above poster and use a FreeBSD machine as my
9 > gateway.   There is a tool called 'trafshow' I use for quick real
10 > time traffic analysis which might be useful for you.  I found it in
11 > portage:
12 >
13 > net-analyzer/trafshow
14
15 There's one other way that I just remembered (for future reference). You
16 don't *have* to use a linux machine as a gateway if you have a decent
17 managed switch - set it to route all traffic on all ports out through
18 the port that a monitoring machine is connected to. In other words,
19 that one part acts like a hub. Now that the monitoring machine can see
20 every bit on the entire Ethernet, it can count 'em :-)
21
22 However, these switches cost a fortune and I very much doubt that the
23 el-cheapo ADSL routers on the market have this feature. Both of mine
24 certainly don't.
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list