From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Probably off-topic] How do I find out what is consuming the bandwidth?
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 16:25:08
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 01 March 2008, Mike Mazur wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 2:26 AM, Steve <Gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Situation: There's a LAN with a Netgear ADSL router... heterogenous
9 >>> OS, including Gentoo, are installed on various PCs on the LAN.
10 >>>
11 >>> I'd like to know what communicating IPs are consuming most
12 >>> bandwidth, and to quantify how much bandwidth they are using...
13 >>> Ideally, I'd like to see a real-time list of the main bandwidth
14 >>> consuming communicators...
15 >>>
16 >> So you want to monitor the traffic going through your router?
17 >>
18 >> I imagine that would be difficult to do from one of the endpoints in
19 >> your LAN (your Gentoo box). The switch should only route to your
20 >> machine traffic destined for it, so how to measure the bandwidth the
21 >> other machines are consuming between themselves and the outside
22 >> world?
23 >>
24 >> If there is a way to do this I'd be very interested :)
27 > Sometimes the router has an accounting feature. Otherwise you need to
28 > make a Linux box the gateway for the entire LAN and hang the ADSL
29 > router off one of it's interfaces. Then do accounting via any one of
30 > numerous tools
31 >
32 I concur with the above poster and use a FreeBSD machine as my gateway.
33 There is a tool called 'trafshow' I use for quick real time traffic
34 analysis which might be useful for you. I found it in portage:
35
36 net-analyzer/trafshow
37
38 Cheers,