From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fluxbox and using kdm
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 23:22:22
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 27 October 2010 06:52:10 Dale wrote:
5 >> I once had kdm to fail on me during a KDE upgrade. I think it was a
6 >> version mismatch of some kind because later on as it emerged more
7 >> packages, it worked fine.
8 >>
9 > Whenever I have a wholesale upgrade of KDE to do, I restart with no X*
10 > (just the six VTs) and do the upgrade from there. Much safer.
11 >
12 > * I keep a no-X startup profile in grub.conf. It omits the extra things
13 > that KDE needs, like HAL and consolekit, and includes gpm. Occasionally
14 > handy, and well worth the effort of maintaining grub.conf.
18 It's sort of hard to check my email with no GUI tho. Seamonkey seems to
19 need a GUI of some kind to work right. ;-) I usually start a upgrade
20 just before I take a nap. Now, if I need to I can use Fluxbox while KDE
21 upgrades.
22
23 I might also add, if I hadn't logged out of KDE while the upgrade was in
24 progress, it would have kept working since it was already loaded. I
25 think the problem was that kdelibs had upgraded but the other stuff was
26 still the previous version and they just didn't like each other.
27
28 I'm hoping to build me another rig pretty soon. Then I will have a back
29 up. May have to get me one of those keyboard/monitor switch thingys.
30
31 Are you also saying you reboot when you upgrade KDE? Why? This is
32 Linux. Rebooting after or before a GUI upgrade is not needed. At worst
33 a /etc/init.d/xdm restart would reload the GUI stuff.
34
35 Dale
36