From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fluxbox and using kdm
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:45:17
1 On Wednesday 27 October 2010 06:52:10 Dale wrote:
2
3 > I once had kdm to fail on me during a KDE upgrade. I think it was a
4 > version mismatch of some kind because later on as it emerged more
5 > packages, it worked fine.
6
7 Whenever I have a wholesale upgrade of KDE to do, I restart with no X*
8 (just the six VTs) and do the upgrade from there. Much safer.
9
10 * I keep a no-X startup profile in grub.conf. It omits the extra things
11 that KDE needs, like HAL and consolekit, and includes gpm. Occasionally
12 handy, and well worth the effort of maintaining grub.conf.
15 Rgds
16 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.