From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: udev and init.d. Should it be running now?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 01:16:03
1 On 09/10/2009 03:43 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Jonathan Callen (ABCD) wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >>> Hi folks,
5 >>
6 >>> I was browsing around and noticed that I now have a udev in
7 >>> /etc/init.d/. I checked, it is not running but udevd is not running
8 >>> either. See below:
9 >>
10 >>>> root@smoker / # /etc/init.d/udev status
11 >>>> * status: stopped
12 >>>> root@smoker / #
13 >>>> root@smoker / # ps aux | grep udev
14 >>>> root 30451 0.0 0.0 1888 504 pts/0 R+ 16:04 0:00 grep
15 >>>> --colour=auto udev
16 >>>> root@smoker / #
17
18 >>> Also, keep in mind, everything works fine. I just don't want to add it
19 >>> to boot or default runlevels and then break something.
20 >>
21 >> In baselayout-1, udev is started directly by baselayout itself, outside
22 >> of any init scripts. In baselayout-2/openrc, an initscript is needed to
23 >> start udev. If you actually read the script, you may notice that the
24 >> script will immediately fail if you attempt to run it on a baselayout-1
25 >> system, as it isn't needed...
26 >
27 > ...Anyway, I used ps and less to list those processes and noticed
28 > that udev was not running. It used to be running in the past.
29
30 I was surprised to read Jonathan's post, but I see he's right. On my
31 x86 machine the status of udev is "stopped" and on ~amd64 it's "started".
32
33 But both machines show that /sbin/udevd is indeed running, so I can see
34 why you are uneasy about your status quo.
35
36 Have you tried running /sbin/udevd --daemon from a command prompt? When
37 I try it I get a message that udevd is already running.