From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev and init.d. Should it be running now?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:43:37
1 Jonathan Callen (ABCD) wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > > Hi folks,
4 >
5 > > I was browsing around and noticed that I now have a udev in
6 > > /etc/init.d/. I checked, it is not running but udevd is not running
7 > > either. See below:
8 >
9 > >> root@smoker / # /etc/init.d/udev status
10 > >> * status: stopped
11 > >> root@smoker / #
12 > >> root@smoker / # ps aux | grep udev
13 > >> root 30451 0.0 0.0 1888 504 pts/0 R+ 16:04 0:00 grep
14 > >> --colour=auto udev
15 > >> root@smoker / #
16 > > This is the baselayout that is installed:
17 >
18 > >> [I--] [ ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1
19 > > I seem to recall that baselayout 2 is going to be a service thing but
20 > > since I am on baselayout 1, should this be running? It seems to belong
21 > > to the udev package tho according to this:
22 >
23 > >> root@smoker / # equery belongs /etc/init.d/udev
24 > >> [ Searching for file(s) /etc/init.d/udev in *... ]
25 > >> sys-fs/udev-141 (/etc/init.d/udev)
26 > >> root@smoker / #
27 > > You can see from that what udev version is installed too. I also
28 > > checked the elogs and I see no mention of it being changed to a service
29 > > or that it needs to be added to a runlevel.
30 >
31 > > Also, keep in mind, everything works fine. I just don't want to add it
32 > > to boot or default runlevels and then break something.
33 >
34 > > Thanks for any advice. I searched the forums and udev on g.o but didn't
35 > > see anything relevant.
36 >
37 > > Dale
38 >
39 > > :-) :-)
43 > In baselayout-1, udev is started directly by baselayout itself, outside
44 > of any init scripts. In baselayout-2/openrc, an initscript is needed to
45 > start udev. If you actually read the script, you may notice that the
46 > script will immediately fail if you attempt to run it on a baselayout-1
47 > system, as it isn't needed. If/when you upgrade to baselayout-2/openrc,
48 > it will automatically be added to the boot runlevel, but only if
49 > baselayout-1 had been previously installed.
50 >
51 > In short, don't worry about it. :)
52 >
53 > (this didn't appear to send the first time, so resending...)
54
55 What you say makes sense but why is udev not running on my system
56 anymore? I noticed this mostly because I went to single user, KDE
57 seemed to have a few processes that didn't want to die when I logged
58 out. Anyway, I used ps and less to list those processes and noticed
59 that udev was not running. It used to be running in the past.
60
61 That got me to looking and that is when I found the init script. Even
62 after logging back into KDE, udev was still not running. I'm sort of
63 concerned that something is not quite right. I haven't rebooted in a
64 week or two either.
65
66 Ideas? Thoughts?
67