From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] radeonfb and fglrx don't mix - why?
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 04:09:43
1 On Dec 3, 2007 9:59 PM, Hemmann, Volker Armin <
2 volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2007, Andrey Vul wrote:
5 > > I finally got X to work with fglrx and RTFMing said that radeonfb was
6 > > crashing my X. My question is why did radeonfb mess up X and fglrx?
7 > >
8 > > If this is strictly kernel-related, I'll send this email to lkml.
9 >
10 > because two different drivers driving the same hardware never mixes.
11 >
12 > Is that hard to understand?
13 >
14 > radeonfb f*s around with the hardware behind the X drivers back and the X
15 > driver f*s around behind radeonfb's back. Both don't know what the other
16 > one
17 > does. Result: crash.
18 >
19 > That is not a kernel problem. This is a 'two drivers access the same
20 > hardware'
21 > problem.
22 >
23 > --
24 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
27 And the solution is to use some generic framebuffer driver, like vesafb-tng
28 or vga.
31 - Mark Shields