From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] radeonfb and fglrx don't mix - why?
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 03:04:49
1 On Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2007, Andrey Vul wrote:
2 > I finally got X to work with fglrx and RTFMing said that radeonfb was
3 > crashing my X. My question is why did radeonfb mess up X and fglrx?
4 >
5 > If this is strictly kernel-related, I'll send this email to lkml.
6
7 because two different drivers driving the same hardware never mixes.
8
9 Is that hard to understand?
10
11 radeonfb f*s around with the hardware behind the X drivers back and the X
12 driver f*s around behind radeonfb's back. Both don't know what the other one
13 does. Result: crash.
14
15 That is not a kernel problem. This is a 'two drivers access the same hardware'
16 problem.
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list