From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package management, depclean and new installs
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 18:09:33
1 On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:33:58 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:
2
3 > > Why not use --ask instead of --pretend? Then you don't have to copy
4 > > anything or re-run commands. "emerge -ca" is short enough to not need
5 > > an alias.
6 >
7 > Mostly because, while I am not a prolific installer of temporary
8 > packages, I fairly often (compared to how often depclean wants to
9 > remove anything at all) have one or two packages in the list that I
10 > want to delay removing for a little while. Most common after a kernel
11 > upgrade where I still have not gotten around to reboot and confirm
12 > that the new version actually works. Copying the package list now and
13 > then seems less of a hassle to me than having to say no to --ask most
14 > of the time.
15
16 I picked up this tip some years ago to avoid depcleaning kernel sources.
17
18 % cat /etc/portage/sets.conf
19 [kernels]
20 class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
21 world-candidate = False
22 files = /usr/src
23
24 and emerge -n @kernels
25
26 I also have this in the file to allow multiple GCC versions.
27
28 [gcc]
29 class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
30 world-candidate = False
31 files = /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 With free advice you often get what you pay for.