From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package management, depclean and new installs
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 08:34:17
1 On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 09:10, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 06:31:53 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:
3 > > As for depclean, I have added an alias for depclean with --pretend
4 > > that I use after world updates. Unless you have installed something
5 > > with -1, most of the time that list is empty. And the output gives
6 > > nice clean lists of what packages it wants to remove, with exact
7 > > version strings and slots, so if I agree, I just do 'emerge -C <copied
8 > > list>' and I'm good to go.
9 >
10 > Why not use --ask instead of --pretend? Then you don't have to copy
11 > anything or re-run commands. "emerge -ca" is short enough to not need an
12 > alias.
13
14 Mostly because, while I am not a prolific installer of temporary
15 packages, I fairly often (compared to how often depclean wants to
16 remove anything at all) have one or two packages in the list that I
17 want to delay removing for a little while. Most common after a kernel
18 upgrade where I still have not gotten around to reboot and confirm
19 that the new version actually works. Copying the package list now and
20 then seems less of a hassle to me than having to say no to --ask most
21 of the time.
22
23 Regards,
24 Arve