From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel panic -- finding proper config diff
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:51:33
1 On Thursday 22 October 2009 20:17:46 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > > Why not copy over the .29 config and run make oldconfig?
3 >
4 > I thought of that, but isn't there too much difference in the
5 > versions? I read somewhere that taking to big a leap between versions
6 > is unsafe. Not to mention the great whack of new options. If you do a
7 > diff -y between the two configs there are lots of gaps.
10 That's version jumps like 2.4 to 2.6
11
12 The 2.6 development model is small incremental steps, so the odds are always
13 in your favour that it will work just fine. Occasionally you might find two
14 versions that don't like to play nicely with oldconfig but that isn't the
15 norm.
16
17 FWIW, I haven't encountered a single problem with the entire 2.6 range. But
18 then again I don't do version jumps on the order of 2.6.9 to 2.6.15, it's more
19 like 2.6.30-r6 to 2.6.31
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com