From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel panic -- finding proper config diff
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:42:11
1 On 22 Oct 2009, at 19:50, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 22 October 2009 20:17:46 Maxim Wexler wrote:
3 >>> Why not copy over the .29 config and run make oldconfig?
4 >>
5 >> I thought of that, but isn't there too much difference in the
6 >> versions? I read somewhere that taking to big a leap between versions
7 >> is unsafe. Not to mention the great whack of new options. If you do a
8 >> diff -y between the two configs there are lots of gaps.
11 > That's version jumps like 2.4 to 2.6
12 >
13 > The 2.6 development model is small incremental steps, so the odds
14 > are always
15 > in your favour that it will work just fine. Occasionally you might
16 > find two
17 > versions that don't like to play nicely with oldconfig but that
18 > isn't the
19 > norm.
20 >
21 > FWIW, I haven't encountered a single problem with the entire 2.6
22 > range.
23
24 There was a change between 2.6.x and 2.6.x+1 where the whole .config
25 was rearranged and `make oldconfig` no longer worked. It was a while
26 ago, so maybe you don't recall it. I think x was circa 22 or so. It
27 was discussed on here at the time, IIRC, and caused filesystems such
28 as ext2 (at least) to be unselected if you just ran `make oldconfig`.
29
30 Stroller.