From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Paludis newbie questions [was: Excellent Paludis interview]
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 01:57:49
1 On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:54:44 -0600
2 Marzan, Richard non Unisys wrote:
3
4 ...[snip]...
5
6 > I'm definitely willing to switch and will most likely do so during
7 > the holiday week. Paludis seems to be a favorite amongst experienced
8 > users. Which begs the question; Why not redirect all efforts to
9 > building a stable, full-featured Paludis as soon as possible and
10 > purge portage? One option that I would like is for the build to be
11 > done completely in ram until it's compiled and ready to be placed on
12 > disk. HDD I/O is the slowest part of the system avoiding it as much
13 > as possible on systems with plenty of ram is a good idea.
14 >
15 > Regards,
16 >
17 > Richard
18
19 I'm experimenting with paludis. Seems fine, though a bit verbose and
20 cryptic. Running "paludis -i world" produces:
21
22 Unhandled exception:
23 * In program paludis -i world:
24 * When making environment from specification '':
25 * When loading paludis configuration:
26 * When reading use file '/etc/paludis/use.conf':
27 * When adding source '/etc/paludis/use.conf' as a use file:
28 * When validating use flag name '':
29 * Name '' is not a valid use flag name (paludis::UseFlagNameError)
30
31 If, instead, I run "paludis --environment portage -i world" the
32 first message is:
33
34 paludis@1198288003: [WARNING] Use of Portage configuration files will
35 lead to sub-optimal performance and loss of functionality. Full
36 support for Portage configuration formats is not guaranteed; issues
37 should be reported via trac. You are strongly encouraged to migrate to
38 a Paludis configuration.
39
40 Beforr the above results, I'd already run:
41
42 portage2paludis
43 paludis --sync
44
45 and have /etc/paludis with various files in it.
46
47 What am I missing that produces the "unhandled exception" and "migrate
48 to Paludis configuration" messages?
49
50 Thanks.
51