From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:02:48
1 On 30.03.2015 11:39, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 30/03/2015 11:23, Mick wrote:
3 >> Hmm ... I don't think setting abi_x86_32 globally is necessary, unless you
4 >> want to have 32bit libs for ALL packages that these exist for, whether you use
5 >> them or not. I mean that for Skype you have no alternative at present, but if
6 >> you don't use Skype then you would not need the 32bit versions of Skype's
7 >> dependencies. If my understanding is wrong, Alan will soon put me right on
8 >> this. :-)
11 > You understand it just fine.
12
13 OK, then so why do I have to edit files to tell the system to USE this
14 and that after the system tells me it needs that ... ?
15
16 Why isn't this taken care of within portage itself?
17
18 I don't *want* to decide 32bit or not ... (I like that I *can* ...)
19
20 I want a (mostly) stable and current linux system with the necessary
21 choices done by the maintainers ... if Skype needs it ... ok, then make
22 that a dependency/requirement somewhere ... but why force me to set that
23 (for so many packages) ?
24
25 -
26
27 I removed the global flag now again and only had to add that flag for a
28 few packages now ... maybe because others have been rebuilt already?
29
30 Maybe it isn't as bad as I thought in the first place.
31
32 I hope that this is a desktop/GUI-issue mostly? Having to do that on
33 dozens of customer servers is not on my wishlist right now :-)
34
35 Stefan