From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:31:30
1 On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:02:23 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2
3 > >> Hmm ... I don't think setting abi_x86_32 globally is necessary,
4 > >> unless you want to have 32bit libs for ALL packages that these exist
5 > >> for, whether you use them or not. I mean that for Skype you have no
6 > >> alternative at present, but if you don't use Skype then you would
7 > >> not need the 32bit versions of Skype's dependencies. If my
8 > >> understanding is wrong, Alan will soon put me right on this. :-)
11 > > You understand it just fine.
12 >
13 > OK, then so why do I have to edit files to tell the system to USE this
14 > and that after the system tells me it needs that ... ?
15 >
16 > Why isn't this taken care of within portage itself?
17
18 Because this is Gentoo and you are in charge of portage, not the other
19 way around. Portage goes as far as it can without trampling over your
20 choices by saying "these are the changes I need you to make, press Y to
21 accept them". It's not like you have to add one atom to package.use
22 manually, run emerge again, add another etc.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Why is the word abbreviation so long?