From: "Róbert Čerňanský" <openhs@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 17:50:18
1 On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:31:15 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:02:23 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
5 >
6 > > >> Hmm ... I don't think setting abi_x86_32 globally is necessary,
7 > > >> unless you want to have 32bit libs for ALL packages that these
8 > > >> exist for, whether you use them or not. I mean that for Skype
9 > > >> you have no alternative at present, but if you don't use Skype
10 > > >> then you would not need the 32bit versions of Skype's
11 > > >> dependencies. If my understanding is wrong, Alan will soon put
12 > > >> me right on this. :-)
13 > > >
14 > > >
15 > > > You understand it just fine.
16 > >
17 > > OK, then so why do I have to edit files to tell the system to USE
18 > > this and that after the system tells me it needs that ... ?
19 > >
20 > > Why isn't this taken care of within portage itself?
21 >
22 > Because this is Gentoo and you are in charge of portage, not the other
23 > way around. Portage goes as far as it can without trampling over your
24 > choices by saying "these are the changes I need you to make, press Y
25 > to accept them". It's not like you have to add one atom to package.use
26 > manually, run emerge again, add another etc.
27
28 With --pretend and --ask options you would still be in charge. Execute
29 'emerge -pv foo', if you do not like the changes then tweak USE
30 settings in package.use. I would not feel any less in control if I
31 could see changes that portage wants to do and could force my USE
32 settings in package.use.
33
34 Robert
38 Róbert Èeròanský