From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Error starting Konq after update world
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:37:53
1 On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:55:55 -0600, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > > Yes, meaningless; update world means the packages on YOUR machine,
4 > > matching YOUR arch and dependencies requires by YOUR use flags have
5 > > been changed. No one can relate to that without knowing all those
6 > > settings, or a simple list of the packages updated with "genlop
7 > > --list --date yesterday"
10 > Your repeating it ever louder does not make it so.
11
12 Correct, it was already so.
13
14 > update world
15 > conveys a major update of the entire OS,
16
17 No it doesn't. It updates whatever has been updated since you last ran
18 it. This depends on the arch and USE flags you have, which packages
19 you have installed and when you last did it. it could update two packages
20 or two hundred. The point is, the statement gives no indication of which
21 packages you have upgraded, so it is of no real help in diagnosing your
22 problem.
23
24 > then follows a very specific
25 > error that I hoped someone would be able to identify.
26
27 Which I did, and proposed a solution. It didn't work because I assumed
28 you were using the split KDE ebuilds, a list of the packages you had
29 updated would have shown otherwise and enabled me to give the answer I
30 gave later in my first reply.
31
32 When asking for help, it is difficult to give too much information but
33 all to easy to give too little.
34
35 > Your continued insistance on
36 > this appears to be more about opinion than fact.
37
38 No, it's about asking for the information needed to make a diagnosis.
39
40 > > You're running the monolithic KDE ebuilds, so re-emerge kdebase.
41 > > Incidentally, this is one of the situations where the split ebuilds
42 > > really pay off, as you'd only have to recompile Konqueror rather than
43 > > all the core KDE programs.
44 >
45 > Thanks, I'll be doing that.
46
47 See, once you gave details about specific packages involved, it
48 was easier to provide advice. Remote diagnosis usually involves some
49 guessing as to the correct answer, don't make us guess the question too.
50
51 You seem to have taken this as a personal attack, it was not. If you want
52 people to be able to help you, give them what they need. My first
53 response was simply some advice on one way doing this that "update world"
54 does not achieve. You were not the first to fall into this trap; you will
55 not be the last, but my discussing it I hope it may happen less often.
59 Neil Bothwick
60
61 I'd prefer the non-smoking lifeboat, please.