From: "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] looking for a cataloging software
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 14:39:06
1 On Sunday 06 August 2006 07:39, Helge Kaltenbach wrote:
2 > hi everybody,
3 >
4 > i've been searching for a nice little file cataloging software for two
5 > days straight now, but somehow i can't really find what i'm looking for.
6 >
7 > the situation:
8 > i have about 230 pdf files, essays, comments, press articles etc.
9 >
10 > what i want:
11 > i want to index all of these pdfs, and i want to add notes.
12 > i'm not looking for something to search through these pdfs!
13 > the most comfortable thing i can think of right now would look like
14 > this: i open the program, there is some sort of "add" function and i can
15 > select a file to add to my catalog/index...and i need to be able to add
16 > and search for notes. these notes consist of name of newspaper/magazine
17 > the article appeared in, date it appeared, name of the author, general
18 > notes (e.g. related topics etc, what i think of the article etc)
19 > then i dream of a search function to look for either author, date, one
20 > of the general notes etc..
21 >
22 > i tried mylibary
23 > http://www.people.virginia.edu/~yc2w/MyLibrary/
24 >
25 > the functions are fine, but it keeps crashing on me and it has a buggy
26 > mouse function etc...i added about 30 articles a few days ago, then it
27 > crashed -> all notes and information i made to all of these 30 articles
28 > were gone
31 > any ideas?
32 >
33 > thanks in advance
34 > helge
35 If you use KDE, I use tellico for this. I have thousands of research papers,
36 reports etc as pdfs. It presents a searchable data base, you can add custon
37 fields to the ones it already has, and it can link directly to the file in
38 question.
39 Matt
40 --
41 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%