From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: "New to aliexpress" pop up - how to block it?
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 07:11:28
1 On 07/16 01:59, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 1:47 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > that drives my insane:
6 > > While searching items for my DIY Nixie clock on aliexpress I get
7 > > one certain popup with each new access to aliexpress asking
8 > > me, whether I am new to aliexpress and offers me a coupon.
9 > >
10 > > I have no othe chance than clicking on this [beep] pop up
11 > > to be able to see the page contents.
12 > >
13 > > I searched the web for according informations how to block
14 > > this [beep] popup, but I only get informations how to
15 > > remove a certain kind of adware virus from Mac and Windows.
16 > >
17 > > Since this virus pops up an advertisement of constantly changing
18 > > goods and is page filling I am sure I am not suffering from this.
19 > >
20 > > If anyone out there has solved this problem without disabling
21 > > the possibility to /buy/ something on aliexpress PLEASE HELP
22 > > ME. I AM NEAR INSANITY! ;) :)
23 > >
24 > > Thanks a lot in advance for any life saver!
25 > > Cheers
26 > > Meino
29 > You might be able to block the element on the page using uBlock
30 > Origin, but unfortunately that type of ad is very hard to remove. If
31 > you have to interact with it is harder to select using uBlock's
32 > interface.
33 >
34 > You can also use Greasemonkey to block more invasive ads, but I never
35 > had much luck with that. It's designed to do more than filter
36 > background content.
37 >
38 > I feel like I need to ask whether or not you've done something like
39 > disable cookies. I'd not suggest doing that, at most delete all of
40 > them when you close your browser session. It's impossible to use most
41 > pages without having cookies enabled (this makes automating things
42 > with web libraries infuriating).
43 >
44 > R0b0t1.
47 Hi R0b0t1,
48
49 For "normal browsing" I created a profile for firefox which is privacy
50 enhanced -- blocking all sorts of things. This profile works half
51 with the sites I normally visit.
52 Aliexpress get screwed up when visited using this profile.
53
54 So I created a second profile, which I use for Aliexpress only. This
55 one has only some privacy related things enabled. Aliexpress works --
56 including poping up this [beep] "Are you new to Aliexpress?" popup.
57 Cookies are enabled with this profile.
58
59 As soon as I login into Aliexpress the popup disappears -- now
60 Aliexpress is satisfied, because tracking my searches is now
61 personalized.
62
63 Its the same reason for why buying via Aliexpress App on a
64 smartphone/tablet is cheaper than using a PC.
65 I am using XPrivacy on my Android tablet which shows, blocks
66 or allows ANY access to permissions like "Get your location"
67 et cetera -- I instantly deleted that App after I saw, what this
68 App wants to know.
69
70 Cheers
71 Meino