From: Fernando Canizo <conan@××××××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recompiling vim linked to libncursesw
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:27:51
1 El Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:27:12AM -0400, Thomas Dickey me decía:
2 > On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:11:05AM -0300, Fernando Canizo wrote:
3 > > But vim is linked against libncurses, doesn't make it a 'curses
4 > > application' ?
5 >
6 > no. A curses application calls initscr() or newterm(), uses the curses
7 > library to perform optimized display updates. A termcap application
8 > calls tgetent(), and uses tputs() or tgoto() to write strings directly
9 > to the display.
10 >
11 > Since vim is a termcap application, you could in principle link it with
12 > libtermcap without seeing any difference in vim's functionality.
13 >
14 > There are some applications that can be configured (compiled) for any of
15 > these interfaces:
16 >
17 > termcap
18 > terminfo
19 > curses (ncurses)
20 > ncursesw
21 >
22 > tin and vile do this, for example.
23
24 Cool, so i can discard that the problem comes from vim + libncurses.
25
26 In other mails from the thread we've reached to the point of knowing
27 that mutt is reencoding the chars. Since you seem to know about
28 libraries and calls to functions, do you know a method to track this
29 issue? I've been thinking maybe an strace to mutt, but y don't know
30 what to search for, and strace gives lots of info.
31
32 So the question is: what would you do to track this problem?
35 Fernando Canizo - LUGMen: www.lugmen.org.ar - A8N: a8n.lugmen.org.ar
36 woman: "Say something dirty to me!"
37 man: "Kitchen."
38 -- meyerm