From: Thomas Dickey <dickey@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recompiling vim linked to libncursesw
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:14:59
1 On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:24:23AM -0300, Fernando Canizo wrote:
2 > Cool, so i can discard that the problem comes from vim + libncurses.
3 >
4 > In other mails from the thread we've reached to the point of knowing
5 > that mutt is reencoding the chars. Since you seem to know about
6 > libraries and calls to functions, do you know a method to track this
7 > issue? I've been thinking maybe an strace to mutt, but y don't know
8 > what to search for, and strace gives lots of info.
9
10 strace gives lots of information, but sometimes you can reduce it by
11 looking only at specific calls. Usually what I'm interested in from
12 strace in this type of problem is the exec's and open's it shows.
13
14 I'm not sure what mutt's doing either. But if it's recoding the information,
15 it's doing either via runtime library or via an external program.
16
17 Another tool is ltrace, which would (like strace, a lot of information)
18 show the library calls mutt makes. That's useful in this sense to see
19 if it's doing something with iconv.
20
21 > So the question is: what would you do to track this problem?
22
23 I'd probably poke at the strace and ltrace results enough to get a sense
24 of generally what it's doing, then grep through mutt's sources to see
25 where it's doing _that_.
28 Thomas E. Dickey
29 http://invisible-island.net
30 ftp://invisible-island.net