From: Fernando Canizo <conan@××××××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recompiling vim linked to libncursesw: solved!
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 03:04:22
1 El Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:10:34AM -0400, Thomas Dickey me decía:
2 > On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:24:23AM -0300, Fernando Canizo wrote:
3 > > Cool, so i can discard that the problem comes from vim + libncurses.
4 > >
5 > > In other mails from the thread we've reached to the point of knowing
6 > > that mutt is reencoding the chars. Since you seem to know about
7 > > libraries and calls to functions, do you know a method to track this
8 > > issue? I've been thinking maybe an strace to mutt, but y don't know
9 > > what to search for, and strace gives lots of info.
10 >
11 > strace gives lots of information, but sometimes you can reduce it by
12 > looking only at specific calls. Usually what I'm interested in from
13 > strace in this type of problem is the exec's and open's it shows.
14 >
15 > I'm not sure what mutt's doing either. But if it's recoding the information,
16 > it's doing either via runtime library or via an external program.
17 >
18 > Another tool is ltrace, which would (like strace, a lot of information)
19 > show the library calls mutt makes. That's useful in this sense to see
20 > if it's doing something with iconv.
21 >
22 > > So the question is: what would you do to track this problem?
23 >
24 > I'd probably poke at the strace and ltrace results enough to get a sense
25 > of generally what it's doing, then grep through mutt's sources to see
26 > where it's doing _that_.
27
28 Well, thank you very much, and everybody else who has replied. Finally
29 i didn't need do poke through sources. The problem was that since i
30 change to utf-8 from latin1, my configuration files remained in
31 latin1, one of them was ~/.muttrc wich contained the first line of
32 this mail, with the word "decía" encoded in latin1.
33
34 So when mutt was compossing the temporal mail in /tmp for vim it found
35 "decía" and said to itself: "this is latin1, let's encode the rest
36 with this" and so it re-encoded my already utf-8 chars in utf-8 again.
37
38 The solution was to encode ~/.muttrc in utf-8. Also the same effect is
39 produced with an .alias or .signature file in another encoding, so be
40 aware! :)
41
42 Like i said, i've been through the FAQ, and searched the web using
43 google, the last thing after the mail from Thomas was narrow my search
44 using google groups and this string: "utf-8 vim mutt" and it gives 199
45 hits, from which i've read 50 when the reply come through mutt list. I
46 think i'm going to edith the mutt faq now since it's in a wiki.
47
48 Thank you everybody, i'm in testing mode, but i think this is it, it's
49 solved.
50 --
51 Fernando Canizo - LUGMen: www.lugmen.org.ar - A8N: a8n.lugmen.org.ar
52 The documentation is in Japanese. Good luck.
53 -- Rich $alz
54 --
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list