From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Web browsers crash when trying to print.
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 04:54:32
1 Howdy,
2
3 I first discovered this with Seamonkey.  I then tested this with Firefox
4 and got the same results.  When I go to File and select Print, the print
5 dialog window pops up for just a second and then the web browser
6 crashes.  Both seem to use the same print software.  I tried a different
7 version of Seamonkey but it does the same.  I also tested a fresh
8 profile of Seamonkey as well, Firefox also.  I don't print from Firefox
9 much.  Also, if I select Print Preview from the menu, it opens normally
10 but as soon as I click print, crash.
11
12 I then tried a newer unstable version of cups just in case it would
13 help.  After that, I opened Kwrite and tried to print.  Its print dialog
14 opened and waited for me to hit print.  LOo did the same.  However, both
15 of those use a different software or at least they look very different
16 to print with.
17
18 Usually going back a version or up a version fixes things like this.
19 Given that this didn't work in this case, I'm not sure where to go.  Two
20 versions of Seamonkey and Firefox both crash.  A newer version of cups
21 and it still crashes.  I did a search on BGO and didn't find anything
22 except for a fixed version of Chrome which I don't have on here.  I
23 suspect it uses different software to print anyway.  So no help there.
24 Forums had a thread that was from 2010.  It mentioned a USE flag which
25 cups doesn't even have anymore.  No solution on the forums.
26
27 One other thing that may or may not be related.  I did a emerge -e world
28 a week or so ago.  Before that, I could print fine.  The reason I did
29 that was because I switched to a new gcc and I just wanted to be sure
30 everything was stable.  I went from gcc-8 to gcc-9.  It may not have
31 been needed but it was cold here and I didn't mind the extra heat.
32 Plus, it sometimes fixes other quirks I may not even see.  Here is the
33 info for Seamonkey, Firefox and cups.
36 root@fireball / # emerge -p seamonkey firefox cups
37
38 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
39
40 Calculating dependencies... done!
41 [ebuild   R   #] www-client/seamonkey-2.49.9.1_p0::gentoo
42 USE="chatzilla dbus force-gtk3 gmp-autoupdate ipc jemalloc roaming
43 startup-notification system-harfbuzz system-icu system-jpeg
44 system-libevent system-libvpx system-sqlite -calendar -crypt
45 -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -jack -minimal (-neon)
46 -pulseaudio (-selinux) (-system-cairo) -test -wifi"
47 [ebuild   R   ~] www-client/firefox-72.0.2::gentoo  USE="gmp-autoupdate
48 screenshot startup-notification system-av1 system-icu system-jpeg
49 system-libevent system-sqlite system-webp -bindist -clang -custom-cflags
50 -custom-optimization -debug -eme-free -geckodriver -hardened -hwaccel
51 -jack -lto -pgo -pulseaudio (-selinux) -system-libvpx -test -wayland
52 -wifi" CPU_FLAGS_X86="-avx2"
53 [ebuild   R   ~] net-print/cups-2.3.1::gentoo  USE="X dbus pam ssl
54 threads zeroconf -acl -debug -kerberos -lprng-compat (-selinux)
55 -static-libs -systemd -usb -xinetd" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB
56
57 Total: 3 packages (3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
58 root@fireball / #
61 I try to set the safest USE flags I can.  I usually follow things I've
62 read on this list.  If someone thinks changing one will help, I'm
63 willing to test it.  I can always use my test profile that is blank
64 anyway.  That way there will be no data loss even in a worst case
65 scenario.
66
67 This is the gcc-config -l output.
70 root@fireball / # gcc-config -l
71  [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-8.3.0
72  [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-9.2.0 *
73 root@fireball / #
76 If needed, I could also revert back to gcc-8.  It takes a while but it
77 is doable as a last resort.
78
79 I'm not sure if the printing is done within Seamonkey itself or if
80 Seamonkey and Firefox use some common external print software.  I'd
81 think the later since both behave the same way.  I'm just not sure.
82
83 Any ideas or thoughts??
84
85 Thanks.