From: Christoph Gysin <cgysin@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Introducing RAID 1 into a running system
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:02:46
1 Heinz Sporn wrote:
2 > Question: may I run mkraid /dev/md0 on the fly now or will that somehow
3 > destroy the partition table on the entire disk A ?
4
5 This wont't work since only data written to md0 gets mirrored. You can't mirror
6 an existing partition. An mkraid will probably destroy partition A2.
7
8 You'll have to unmount the partiton A2 and mount md0 at some time. There's no
9 way to do this on the fly AFAIK.
10
11 But theres still a little shortcut:
12
13 First, let me recommend you mdadm. It's a replacement for the old raidtools.
14 *Much* better IMHO.
15
16 - Create a new RAID1 in degraded state from B2:
17 # mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level 1 --raid-devices 2 /dev/B2 missing
18
19 - Copy contents from A2 to md0
20 - umount A2
21 - add A2 to md0: