From: Heinz Sporn <heinz.sporn@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Introducing RAID 1 into a running system
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:30:36
1 Am Mittwoch, den 07.09.2005, 13:58 +0200 schrieb Christoph Gysin:
2 > Heinz Sporn wrote:
3 > > Question: may I run mkraid /dev/md0 on the fly now or will that somehow
4 > > destroy the partition table on the entire disk A ?
5 >
6 > This wont't work since only data written to md0 gets mirrored. You can't mirror
7 > an existing partition. An mkraid will probably destroy partition A2.
8
9 That I am aware of. A2 will definitely be lost. Would be great
10 though ;-) Only thing I wasn't sure of is if mkraid or mdadm will touch
11 anything else aside A2.
14 > You'll have to unmount the partiton A2 and mount md0 at some time. There's no
15 > way to do this on the fly AFAIK.
16 >
17 > But theres still a little shortcut:
18 >
19 > First, let me recommend you mdadm. It's a replacement for the old raidtools.
20 > *Much* better IMHO.
21
22 Great tip. Thanx. I will use that.
25 > - Create a new RAID1 in degraded state from B2:
26 > # mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level 1 --raid-devices 2 /dev/B2 missing
27 >
28 > - Copy contents from A2 to md0
29 > - umount A2
30 > - add A2 to md0: