From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Begging For Help With ALSA and Lirc
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 19:22:18
1 I had MythTV 0.18 running just fine on a Gentoo 2.6.11-r6 kernel built
2 with genkernel. Then I upgraded the hardware to a Athlon 2800 XP
3 processor running on an Asus motherboard with an Nvidia2 chipset and
4 upgraded the kernel to 2.6.13-r5 from Gentoo sources using genkernel.
5 The system has a PVR-250 and I added a pcHDTV-3000 card. I mention this
6 card in case there's some known conflicts. I have used the
7 module-rebuild and modules-update tools to recompile those modules that
8 needed to be against the new kernel. The specific modules were
9 nvidia-kernel, ivtv, and svgalib. I also reemerged lirc as that wasn't
10 included in the module-rebuild tool.
11
12 But the two things I can't seem to get working are ALSA and lirc. My
13 sound card is an Audigy that uses the emu10k1 driver. Following the
14 Gentoo ALSA guide (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml), I've
15 tried both the kernel and alsa-driver method. The card is detected.
16 All the 'cat /proc/asound' stuff as described in the "Issues" section of
17 the guide produces expected results. All my volume levels are up and
18 unmuted in 'alsamixer'. Yet I get no sound. What else might I check?
19 What should I delete to be sure all ALSA stuff is gone so I can try
20 again from scratch? Any other ideas on how to get this working? This
21 same card was working before my upgrades.
22
23 And lirc won't load. I get these errors when inserting the module:
24
25 tv mythtv # modprobe lirc_dev
26 FATAL: Error inserting lirc_dev
27 (/lib/modules/2.6.13-gentoo-r5/misc/lirc_dev.ko): Unknown symbol in
28 module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
29 tv mythtv # modprobe lirc_i2c
30 WARNING: Error inserting lirc_dev
31 (/lib/modules/2.6.13-gentoo-r5/misc/lirc_dev.ko): Unknown symbol in
32 module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
33 FATAL: Error inserting lirc_i2c
34 (/lib/modules/2.6.13-gentoo-r5/misc/lirc_i2c.ko): Unknown symbol in
35 module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
36
37 Any ideas on how to get this working as well? And the modules.conf
38 items used to be in /etc/modules.d/ivtv but now the new ivtv doesn't
39 need its lines as it autodetects. So where should I put the lirc
40 lines? Leave them where they are? Create a /etc/modules.d/lirc?
41
42 Thanks for any help. I've Googled and experimented for over a week now
43 but can't get these two issues resolve. I MISS MY MYTHTV!!! :)
44
45 Thanks,
46
47 Drew
50 Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
51 Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!
52
53 http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list