From: Christoph Eckert <ce@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Begging For Help With ALSA and Lirc
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 19:34:32
1 > But the two things I can't seem to get working are ALSA and lirc.  My
2 > sound card is an Audigy that uses the emu10k1 driver.
3
4 if the module is loaded you shoud see the card when doing a
5 cat /proc/asound/cards
6
7 > Following the
8 > Gentoo ALSA guide (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml), I've
9 > tried both the kernel and alsa-driver method.
10
11 I usually prefer the kernel method except there is brad new hardware so
12 the external drivers are more recent than the kernel drivers.
13
14 > The card is detected.
15 >   All the 'cat /proc/asound' stuff as described in the "Issues"
16 > section of the guide produces expected results.  All my volume levels
17 > are up and unmuted in 'alsamixer'.  Yet I get no sound.
18
19 I guess the card is already occupied by an soundserver like arts (KDE)
20 or esound (Gnome).
21
22 I'd try
23
24 artsshell -q terminate
25
26 starting xmms, setting my card in the preferences and see if it plays an
27 audio file.
28
29 You can also try
30
31 aplay -N -D plughw:1 yourwavfilegoeshere.wav
32
33 The N option makes it not waiting the device to get freed but reporting
34 an error.
35
36 If this doesn't help then maybe you want to consult the linux audio user
37 list.
40 Best regards
43 ce
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list